Search This Blog

Sunday, October 21, 2007

the story my faile....

it was last october...just after thanksgiving. garnet and i had just broken up and i’m not afraid to say i was pretty depressed about my whole situation. i had moved into this apartment in early summer...hadn’t been here much....hadn’t fixed it up. the walls were...are still are...yellow. a colour i’m just not big on. i decided i needed some art. i had a 4day weekend coming up and thought....hey, why don’t i go to portland and check out some art...do a little dancing..it will be fun! i knew ferris plock had collaborated with kelly tunsell and were having a show at the compound gallery and thought that might be a good place to start.... so off i went.

i went to the show at compound....bought a piece. not my first choice...it was sold but a nice one never the less. then i went across the street to upper playground. the gallery was closed. i poked my head in to try and get a look. the guy who was taking the show down saw me and asked if i wanted to take a look. i was wowed but the work. it love at first sight! almost every piece was sold except my canvas, an original framed piece on paper and one giant canvas...which was awesome as well. i was instantly drawn in. the guy said that the only reason the one i got was still there is b/c the person had changed their mind.....lucky for me! i told him i had to think sleep on it and i made an appointment to come by the next day. they would be closed but will be there taking the show down.

i called garnet for advice. he was on a road trip to arizona and had seen the show on his way out there. he gave me some positive reinforcement including what may have sealed the deal for me...he said “you can always sell it if you change your mind or need the money” and he was right.

thanks garn...i owe you one.

ok. i need to finish the story....

after i had some dances and slept on it....i made my way back to the gallery the next day. had another assurance phone call with garn...went in a bought the thing! then i realised i had to get it back to vancouver in my srx...hmmmm. ok... empty my trunk and put all my luggage in the front seat...that’ll work! it did...it just fit! hehe

oh boy...the border...crap. i should have gotten a dummy receipt ! shit. oh well...it too big to hide so i was honest at the boarder... paid a whack in gst and got back in my car. arrived home at about 4am and had to try and get it to my apartment. i really didn’t think of any of these things. you should have seen me. i only dropped it once.... luckily they packed it well at upper playground.


:)

2 comments:

your favorite idiot said...

i want 10% for giving you such good art advice...

g.

domesticallydisabled said...

hehehe