Search This Blog

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Norms story.

I think I went a little crazy grocery shopping yesterday. I was going over to Garnet’s for Bbq...just the two of us, which was nice....but i shopped for a whole party..oh well.

i love grocery shopping it’s one of the domestic duties i can actually handle. I love going to the small shops...I don’t go to costco or superstore...i’d rather slit my wrists than go there.

I like going to Norms on the drive.
Norm is an awesome guy. This is Norms story:
He’s asian had a produce store in the commercial drive area for 20+ years.

He speaks fluent italian and sings italian opera songs as he happily refills the shelves----For those of you who don’t know Commercial drive use to be an italian hood. It still kinda is...but not as much. That’s one of the reasons I moved there when i came to Vancouver, anyway that's another story----back to Norm...

Norm and the guy who owns the hardware store across the street (old italian guy)...are friends. Years ago Norm wanted to open a produce store. The italian guy across the street---he wasn’t old then--- owned the building. he said to Norm in his broad italian accent of course... “you open your store in my place...I won’t charge you rent for awhile. You see how it goes. If it does well..I charge you rent... if it does’t oh well...
and that was that...

Norm doesn’t own the store anymore....he sold it to his employees for a song. Then continued to work there. His employee’s became his bosses and he became the employee...and nothing else has really changed..you still find Norm singing and stocking shelves as always. That was his idea of retiring and giving back to the neighbourhood that treated him so well.

I like that story.
;)

No comments: